“Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see the heavens opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.” (John 1:51 NASB)
That rather cryptic comment from Natan’el wrapped up Who the Mashiakh would be and the Anointed One’s role in a neat package.
“Under the fig tree,” “true son of Israel,” “Son of Man,” ladder between Heaven and Earth: These are symbols a student of “every word that proceeds from the mouth of God” like Natan’el would have known.
The Torah reading (parashah) ויצא Vayetze or Vayetzei (“he went out,” Gen. 28:10–32:2) covers the dream of Ya’akob’s ladder, Ya’akov‘s seven-year wait to marry Rakhel, Laban’s double-dealing to marry off his oldest daughter, a sister battle over fertility and the origins of the names of the 12 tribes of Israel. Sprinkled through these accounts are prophetic breadcrumbs leading to
The traditional complementary Prophets and Writings reading (haftarah) for Vayetze is Hos. 12:12–14:9.
Companion reading from the B’rit Chadashah (New Testament) from MessianicJudaism.net (also has through-the-Bible readings):
- Jn. 1:19–51 (Parashiot From the Torah and Haftarah by Jeffrey E. Feinbe of Flame Foundation; Complete Jewish Bible by David H. Stern)
The following are notes and recordings of studies by Hallel Fellowship teachers on passages in Vayetze.
Ya’akov is sent away to find a wife and finds God first at the bottom of a ladder to Heaven. Then he finds Rachel and ends up with her sister and two slave women. There seems to be something prophetic about Rachel.
Ya’akov dreams of a ladder to Heaven, works for Rachel but gets Leah; Leah has sons but Rachel is barren
The vision of “Ya’akov‘s ladder” and his being hoodwinked on his wedding night with Leah instead of Rachel make for entertaining reading, but why does the message of Mashiakh touch on these accounts? Genesis 28–29 also shows us how involved God is in this world throughout time.
Rachel envied her sister, Leah, and Leah hated Rachel because Ya’akov loved her. The names of the his 12 sons reflect this tug of war between the sisters and contain prophecies to be fulfilled hundreds of years later.
Does this chapter have anything to do with the Messiah, or is it just a history about the family of Ya’akov? The meanings of the names of each of these children in sequence tells the story of the Messiah and how He will gather the nations (gentiles) into God’s family. The entire Bible is about Mashiakh, not just about Abraham, Yitskhak, Ya’akov, Yosef or their descendants.
Why is this dissertation of ancient livestock breeding techniques recorded? What is it about the range of meanings of the Hebrew word translated “mandrakes” that is a prophecy about Mashiakh?
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Tetzaveh (תצוה): Exodus 27:20-30:10 - February 18th, 2018
- Exodus 25:1–27:19: How thankful are we for our Savior? - February 17th, 2018
- Parashat Terumah (תרומה): Exodus 25:1–27:19 - February 11th, 2018
- Parshat Mishpatim (משפטים): Exodus 21:1–24:18 - February 4th, 2018
- Exodus 18–20: Ten Commandments reveal the Creator and Savior of Israel and the world - February 3rd, 2018
- Parashat Yitro (יתרו): Exodus 18:1–20:23 - January 28th, 2018
- Exodus 13:17–17:16: Are you ready to enter God's rest? 5 questions to ask yourself - January 27th, 2018
- Parashat Beshalach (בשלח): Exodus 13:17-17:16 - January 21st, 2018
- Parashat Bo (בוא): Exodus 10:1–13:16 - January 14th, 2018
- Parashat Va'era (וארא): Exodus 6:2-9:35 - January 7th, 2018
- Parashat Shemot (שמות): Exodus 1:1-6:1 - December 31st, 2017
- Parashat Vayechi (ויחי): Genesis 47:28–50:26 - December 24th, 2017
- Parashat Vayigash (ויגש): Genesis 44:18–47:27 - December 17th, 2017
- Chanukah: Dare to be a Daniel, Joseph, Judas Maccabeus - December 16th, 2017
- Parashat Miketz (מקץ): Genesis 41:1–44:17 - December 10th, 2017
- Genesis 37–40: Joseph and Judah's school of hard knocks - December 9th, 2017
- Parashat Vayeshev (וישב): Genesis 37:1–40:23 - December 3rd, 2017
- Genesis 32:3–36:43: Peace on Earth depends on a transformed you - December 2nd, 2017
- Parashat Vayishlach (וישלח): Genesis 32:3–36:43 - November 26th, 2017
- Genesis 28:10–32:2: Messiah seeks 'the lost sheep of Israel' - November 25th, 2017