What is meant by “on these two commandments depend/hang the whole Law and the Prophets” (Matt. 22:40), regarding the “Greatest Commandment” and the “Golden Rule”?
Three passages contain questions posed by religious authorities to Messiah Yeshua about the “greatest commandment”:
- Matthew 22:35-40
- Mark 12:28-31
- Luke 10:25-28
A scribe and two different lawyers asked Yeshua slightly different questions but Yeshua gave them unique responses? Why were the responses unique?
The Greek word which is translated as “hang” in Matt. 22:40 is (Strong’s 2910) kremannumi. Uses of kremannumi in the Apostolic Writings:
- Matt. 18:6
- Luke 23:39
- Acts 5:30-33
- Acts 28:3-4
- Gal. 3:13
Gal. 3:8-10 — The curse of the Law is death; not the Law itself. How are we free from the “curse of the Law”? Who freed us from the “curse of the Law”?
Matt. 5:17-18 — What did Yeshua come to “fulfill”?
Do we know how we are to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind & strength and to love our neighbors as ourselves?
Gen. 12:1-3 — What do the words translated as “curse” in this text mean in Hebrew? (Strongs 7043 qalal ) vs (Strongs 779 arar). How is “disesteeming” someone similar to a curse?
Zech. 5:1-4 — What is on the scroll? What is the curse?
Are the “law and the prophets” and the Shema (Deut. 6:4) dependent on each other? How do we have the power to “love the Lord with all our heart…”etc.?
Matt. 7:12-13 — What is the Golden Rule? What is the “way that leads to destruction”?
John 5:39-41 — Is the Torah the Tree of Life?
Speaker: Richard Agee
Recent posts in Discussions
- Exodus 25:1–27:19: How thankful are we for our Savior? - February 17th, 2018
- Exodus 18–20: Ten Commandments reveal the Creator and Savior of Israel and the world - February 3rd, 2018
- Exodus 13:17–17:16: Are you ready to enter God's rest? 5 questions to ask yourself - January 27th, 2018
- Chanukah: Dare to be a Daniel, Joseph, Judas Maccabeus - December 16th, 2017
- Genesis 37–40: Joseph and Judah's school of hard knocks - December 9th, 2017
- Genesis 32:3–36:43: Peace on Earth depends on a transformed you - December 2nd, 2017
- Genesis 28:10–32:2: Messiah seeks 'the lost sheep of Israel' - November 25th, 2017
- Genesis 25:19–28:9: 'Be perfect, as your Father in Heaven is perfect' - November 18th, 2017
- Genesis 23:1–25:18: A time to rebel and a time to trust - November 11th, 2017
- Genesis 18–22: Open your eyes when God 'shows up' - November 4th, 2017
- Genesis 12–17: Instant gratification is never instant or gratifying - October 28th, 2017
- Genesis 6:9–11:32: Our salvation floats on a real Flood - October 21st, 2017
- Yom Kippur: Confidence before God under Messiah's covering - September 30th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 32: Song of Moses, song of the redeemed - September 23rd, 2017
- Judgment Day: Day of the LORD is a day of awakening - September 21st, 2017
- Deuteronomy 29:9–31:30: Hungry to get close to God? - September 16th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 26:1–29:8: Coveting thankfulness for the LORD's blessings - September 9th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 16:18–21:9: Learn to judge life & death righteously & mercifully - August 26th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 11:26–16:17: Learning to live a blessed life - August 19th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 7:12-11:25: Stay with the One Who brought you this far - August 12th, 2017
Recent posts in Questions
- Genesis 12–17: Abram's 'slaves' aren't like American slavery - October 24th, 2015
- How do we make the God's words honorable? - September 20th, 2014
- Lassoing lashon ha-ra (evil tongue): Grappling with gossip and slander in God's family - July 19th, 2014
- Importance of context in understanding the Bible - June 21st, 2014
- Identity crisis: Do believers in Messiah Yeshua join 'the Church' or Israel? - September 14th, 2013
- Can one be 'under grace' yet obey God's Torah? - May 11th, 2013
- Question: How are the main people in the book of Esther also thematically tied to other people in the Bible? - March 18th, 2013
- Question: Is there messianic significance to Eliyahu's lying on the dead child three times (1st Kings 17)? - February 2nd, 2013
- Yom Kippur and being 'released from the law' - September 22nd, 2012
- Did the Apostle John and Ezekiel meet each other in vision at God's Temple? (part 1) - August 11th, 2012
- Why do we wash each other's feet at Passover? - February 26th, 2011
- Question: What is 'the gospel'? - May 1st, 2010
- Lessons from The Name - July 4th, 2009
- Question: What is the relationship between law and grace? - January 24th, 2009
- Question: What is the meaning of the Parable of the 10 Virgins? - January 17th, 2009