Gen. 1:2 says that “darkness was on the face of the deep.” How is the “darkness” and “light” in Genesis 1 related to the “darkness” and “light” that apostles Paul and John talk about?
Food for thought
Keywords for today
- Elohim () = “God,” literally “powerful ones”
- bereshit () = “in the beginning”
- et () = untranslated, glues objects of a sentence to the main actor
- ha-shamayim () = “the heavens”
- ha-’aretz () = “the earth”
- mayim () = “water”
- khoshekh () = “darkness,” used in “darkness came upon the face of the depth” ()
1st Sam. 2:1 — “wicked shall be silent in darkness”
Job 15 6 — a man sentenced to death will not escape the coming darkness
Psalms 18 — God lights our candle. Elohim will “enlighten my darkness”
Why did the world begin in darkness rather than in light? Why does God start the day in darkness?
God called forth light, he didn’t create it. It was already there. Light is related to the Messiah (the light of the world).
Prov. 20:20 — A man who curses his parents will have their light put into “obscure darkness”. What does it mean to curse your mother and your father? What kind of darkness does the rebellious child bring upon himself?
Isa. 5:20 — “woe until them who call evil good and good evil and light darkness and darkness light”
Paul tells us that the devil can show himself as an “angel of light” even though the devil is in total darkness. He warns us not to be deceived.
Let’s look at some passages from the Apostolic Scriptures, which will elaborate.
What’s the difference between “from the beginning” versus “from the foundations”? The foundation is not a reference to the creation. The foundation came from the earth. From the earth, the ground, trees and seas came.
Eph. 1:3-4 — God did not create man to be unrighteous or corrupted. God is restoring us back to the original creation—to be righteous and holy. How did man become unrighteous and unholy?
The Greek word for “foundation” comes from two different Greek words:
- kata (κατα) = “down”
- balo (βολη) = “throw” or “lay” or “plant” (i.e., inseminate)
When did the Messiah see the devil cast down? Was it during the Messiah’s earthly life? If it happened in the past, at what point in history did this take place?
Rev. 12:10 — Who is the accuser? why was he cast down?
Rev 13:8 the lamb was “slain from the foundation of the world”.
God asked job “where were you when I laid the foundation of the world?”
Blessings and curses come “From the word of God” Who is the “word of God”?
Did God create sin? Did God make a mistake when he made mankind? How did mankind become corrupt? What was the curse of sin?
Isa. 9:2 says “those in darkness have seen a great light.” What/who is that light?
What are the “wages of sin”?
Matthew 6:21-23 — Yeshua tells his disciples if their eye is good, they are full of light. if their eye is evil, they are in darkness. What does the term “single eye” versus “double eye” mean? The single eye is light, the double eye is darkness. Why?
We are told that we need “to have the mind in you that was in Christ.” The world calls “open mindedness” good and “single mindedness” bad. Why? Are they on the broad road or the narrow road?
Yeshua told his disciples to do as much work during the day/light as they could be cause the darkness was coming? What did He mean?
2nd Cor. 4:1-6 — What is our calling? What is God calling us to?
1st Thess. 5:1-6 — What times have God set for the world? Who is in control of time?
How do we become enlightened?
What did God establish on the 4th day?
What is turning? Why?
What does God use water to do?
Gen. 7:11 tells us about the “great depths” that broke up during the Flood. The deeper the water, the more pure the water is. There are some underground rivers so deep we can’t reach them.
Gen. 25:29 tells us that God will give Joseph the “blessings of the deep”.
Ezek. 26:15-17 — God uses the personage of the King of Tyre as an example of the devil just as God used the personage of people such as Joseph as an example of the Messiah. Holy things can be made unclean by unholy things, but unholy things can’t be made clean.
What does the city of Tyre picture for us? Is it similar to Babylon? What’s going to happen to them?
Ezek. 31:15-16 — The deep, dark things of the Accuser will be removed as the governments which are at his call.
What does the darkness of Gen. 1:2 picture? Did God create the earth in formlessness and confusion?
Speaker: Richard Agee.
Recent posts in Discussions
- Parashah Miketz (מקץ): Genesis 41:1–44:17; Haftarah: 1st Kings 3:15–4:1 - December 9th, 2015
- Luke 22:39-53: Yeshua sings the Hallel about God's mercy - August 8th, 2015
- Numbers 19: Red heifer a picture of Messiah - August 8th, 2015
- John 16:16–33: Grief turned to joy - July 25th, 2015
- Numbers 16-17: Rebel against God's appointed leaders, rebel against God - July 25th, 2015
- Numbers 15: One law for Israelite and foreigner - July 18th, 2015
- John 16:12-15: The Helper guides into 'all truth,' speaking directly from God - July 11th, 2015
- Numbers 14: Bad report about Promised Land sparks rebellion - July 11th, 2015
- Numbers 13: A bad report, a promise delayed - July 4th, 2015
- John 15:25–16:11: Tag-team Comforters of Israel - June 27th, 2015
- Numbers 12: Lift yourself up and be cast down - June 27th, 2015
- Numbers 11: Everyone likes to complain sometimes, even Moshe - June 20th, 2015
- John 15:16-24: Bear 'fruit' via agape love for one another - June 13th, 2015
- Numbers 10:11-36: When God says move, you move - June 13th, 2015
- John 1:17 and Rom. 3:28: Two-faced scriptures on law and grace? - June 6th, 2015
- Numbers 10:1-13: Two silver trumpets and the Messiah - June 6th, 2015
- Amos 3: To whom much is given, much is required - May 23rd, 2015
- Numbers 9: 'Second-chance Pesach' and being covered by the Cloud - May 23rd, 2015
- John 15:12-25: Friends with God - May 16th, 2015
- Numbers 8: Levites are sanctified in place of the first-born - May 16th, 2015
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Kedoshim (קדשים): Leviticus 19-20 - May 4th, 2016
- Reflecting on Passover and Unleavened Bread - April 30th, 2016
- Parashat Metzora (מצורע): Leviticus 14-15 - April 12th, 2016
- Parashat Tazria (תזריע): Leviticus 12-13 - April 3rd, 2016
- Parashat Shemini (שמיני): Leviticus 9:1-11:47 - March 29th, 2016
- Parashat Tzav (צו): Leviticus 6:1-8:36 - March 25th, 2016
- Parashat Vayikra (ויקרא): Leviticus 1:1-5:26 - March 16th, 2016
- Parashat Pekudei (פקודי): Exodus 38:21-40:38 - March 6th, 2016
- Parashat Ki Tisa (כי תשא): Exodus 30:11-34:35 - February 21st, 2016
- Parashah Tetzaveh (תצוה): Exodus 27:20-30:10; Haftarah: Ezekiel 43:10-27 - February 14th, 2016
- Parashah Terumah (תרומה): Exodus 25:1-27:19; Haftarah: 1Kings 5:26-6:13 - February 13th, 2016
- Parshah Mishpatim (מִּשְׁפָּטִים): Exodus 21:1-24:18; Haftarah: Jeremiah 34:8-22, 33:25-26 - February 3rd, 2016
- Parashah Yitro (יתרו): Exodus 18:1-20:23; Haftarah: Isaiah 6:1-7:6, 9:5-6 - January 27th, 2016
- Parashah Beshalach (בשלח): Exodus 13:17-17:16; Haftarah: Judges 4:4-5:31 - January 20th, 2016
- Parashah Bo (בוא): Exodus 10:1-13:16; Haftarah: Jeremiah 46:13-28 - January 13th, 2016
- Parashah Va'era (וארא): Exodus 6:2-9:35; Haftarah: Ezekiel 28:25-29:21 - January 7th, 2016
- Parashah Shemot (שמות): Exodus 1:1-6:1; Haftarah: Isaiah 27:6-28:13; 29:22-23 - December 29th, 2015
- Parashah Vayechi (ויחי): Genesis 47:28–50:26; Haftarah: 1st Kings 2:1–12 - December 24th, 2015
- Parashah Vayigash (ויגש): Genesis 44:18–47:27; Haftarah: Ezekiel 37:15–28 - December 16th, 2015
- Parashah Vayeshev (וישב): Genesis 37:1–40:23; Haftarah: Amos 2:6-3:8 - November 29th, 2015