Question: What is the relationship between law and grace? Some say verses such as the following suggest grace abolishes the Law, “For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace” (Rom. 6:14 NASB).
Food for thought from the recorded discussion
The real question is not, “What is the Law?” The real question is, “What is grace?” What is “favor”? How do we apply it to each other?
Is grace a substitute for the law? The Bible says that Noah found “grace” or “favor” in God’s eyes (Gen. 6:8)? [χάρις, Strong’s lexicon No. 5485, is translated grace or favor in the Greek translation (Septuagint) of Gen 6:8, is the same word for grace as in Rom. 6:14.] How did Noah get “under grace”?
How does sin “have dominion over” or “master” us? We can’t understand grace without an understanding of sin, law, propitiation (appeasement) and substitution.
You can’t have grace without substitution. Who was the substitute? Yeshua is the grace and favor of God.
“… because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.” Rom. 3:20
What does Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) teach us about substitution and being “under the law” (see Leviticus 16)? How is this shown in Rom. 3:25?
How do we love God (Deut. 6:4-5; cf. John 14:15, 23)? How do we obey the Law?
Answered by Richard Agee. Hallel Fellowship seeks to provide guidance on questions that come to you as you study the Bible, live your life and have discussions with friends, family and co-workers. Submit your questions or comments via the online comment form.
Recent posts in Questions
- Genesis 12–17: Abram's 'slaves' aren't like American slavery - October 24th, 2015
- How do we make the God's words honorable? - September 20th, 2014
- Lassoing lashon ha-ra (evil tongue): Grappling with gossip and slander in God's family - July 19th, 2014
- Importance of context in understanding the Bible - June 21st, 2014
- Identity crisis: Do believers in Messiah Yeshua join 'the Church' or Israel? - September 14th, 2013
- Can one be 'under grace' yet obey God's Torah? - May 11th, 2013
- Question: How are the main people in the book of Esther also thematically tied to other people in the Bible? - March 18th, 2013
- Question: Is there messianic significance to Eliyahu's lying on the dead child three times (1st Kings 17)? - February 2nd, 2013
- Yom Kippur and being 'released from the law' - September 22nd, 2012
- Did the Apostle John and Ezekiel meet each other in vision at God's Temple? (part 1) - August 11th, 2012
- Why do we wash each other's feet at Passover? - February 26th, 2011
- Question: What is 'the gospel'? - May 1st, 2010
- Lessons from The Name - July 4th, 2009
- Question: How do the Law and the Prophets 'hang' on the two 'greatest commandments'? - March 7th, 2009
- Question: What is the meaning of the Parable of the 10 Virgins? - January 17th, 2009