“As God is my witness, I will do that.” Such words can roll off our tongues easily, but we can forget that One is witnessing such a vow and watching to see whether we respect the Creator enough to follow through. That’s why Moshe (Moses), Yeshua haMashiakh (Jesus the Christ) and His apostle Ya’akob (James) warned us against dragging the LORD in to co-sign on our promises.
Yisrael’s promise to remain faithful to the One Who delivered the people out of bondage in Mitsraim (Egypt) eroded under the temptation of a flesh-friendly religion. So a former ally of 40 years ago became an existential enemy and had to be defeated. The wisdom of being very careful in making promises and seeking the strength to keep them is the subtext of the Torah reading מטות Matot (“tribes”), covering Numbers 30–32.
When life or our trust in the LORD seems to get too tough for too long, it’s tempting to give up. Yet we should look back on how far we have come in our new life in the Kingdom of Heaven through the mercy given us on the name of Yeshua. Our journey from our old life is much like Israel’s journey from bondage in Mitsraim to freedom at Sinai and rest in the Promised Land, a trek recounted for the second generation in the Torah passage (parashah) מסעי Massei (or Mase’y, “journeys of”), covering Numbers 33–36.
Note: Because of special Bible readings during God’s appointed times, the readings Massei and Matot are combined into one week this year.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Vayetze (ויצא): Genesis 28:10–32:2 - November 19th, 2017
- Parashat Toldot (תולדת): Genesis 25:19–28:9 - November 12th, 2017
- Genesis 23:1–25:18: A time to rebel and a time to trust - November 11th, 2017
- Parashat Chayei Sarah (חיי שרה): Genesis 23:1-25:18 - November 5th, 2017
- Parashat Vayera (וירא): Genesis 18:1–22:24 - October 29th, 2017
- Genesis 12–17: Instant gratification is never instant or gratifying - October 28th, 2017
- Parashat Lech Lecha (לך לך): Genesis 12:1-17:27 - October 22nd, 2017
- Genesis 6:9–11:32: Our salvation floats on a real Flood - October 21st, 2017
- Parashat Noach (נח): Genesis 6:9–11:32 - October 15th, 2017
- Parashat Bereisheet (בראשית): Genesis 1:1-6:8 - October 8th, 2017
- Yom Kippur: Confidence before God under Messiah's covering - September 30th, 2017
- Judgment Day: Day of the LORD is a day of awakening - September 21st, 2017
- Parashat Ha'azinu (האזינו): Deuteronomy 32 - September 17th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 29:9–31:30: Hungry to get close to God? - September 16th, 2017
- Parashot Nitzavim (נצבים)/Vayelech (וילך): Deuteronomy 29:9–31:20 - September 10th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 26:1–29:8: Coveting thankfulness for the LORD's blessings - September 9th, 2017
- Parashat Ki Tavo (כי תבוא): Deuteronomy 26:1–29:8 - September 3rd, 2017
- Parashat Ki Tetze (כי תצא): Deuteronomy 21:10-25:19 - August 26th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 16:18–21:9: Learn to judge life & death righteously & mercifully - August 26th, 2017
- Parashat Shoftim (שפטים): Deuteronomy 16:18-21:9 - August 20th, 2017