“As God is my witness, I will do that.” Such words can roll off our tongues easily, but we can forget that One is witnessing such a vow and watching to see whether we respect the Creator enough to follow through. That’s why Moshe (Moses), Yeshua haMashiakh (Jesus the Christ) and His apostle Ya’akob (James) warned us against dragging the LORD in to co-sign on our promises.
Yisrael’s promise to remain faithful to the One Who delivered the people out of bondage in Mitsraim (Egypt) eroded under the temptation of a flesh-friendly religion. So a former ally of 40 years ago became an existential enemy and had to be defeated. The wisdom of being very careful in making promises and seeking the strength to keep them is the subtext of the Torah reading מטות Matot (“tribes”), covering Numbers 30–32.
When life or our trust in the LORD seems to get too tough for too long, it’s tempting to give up. Yet we should look back on how far we have come in our new life in the Kingdom of Heaven through the mercy given us on the name of Yeshua. Our journey from our old life is much like Israel’s journey from bondage in Mitsraim to freedom at Sinai and rest in the Promised Land, a trek recounted for the second generation in the Torah passage (parashah) מסעי Massei (or Mase’y, “journeys of”), covering Numbers 33–36.
Note: Because of special Bible readings during God’s appointed times, the readings Massei and Matot are combined into one week this year.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Tetzaveh (תצוה): Exodus 27:20-30:10 - February 18th, 2018
- Exodus 25:1–27:19: How thankful are we for our Savior? - February 17th, 2018
- Parashat Terumah (תרומה): Exodus 25:1–27:19 - February 11th, 2018
- Parshat Mishpatim (משפטים): Exodus 21:1–24:18 - February 4th, 2018
- Exodus 18–20: Ten Commandments reveal the Creator and Savior of Israel and the world - February 3rd, 2018
- Parashat Yitro (יתרו): Exodus 18:1–20:23 - January 28th, 2018
- Exodus 13:17–17:16: Are you ready to enter God's rest? 5 questions to ask yourself - January 27th, 2018
- Parashat Beshalach (בשלח): Exodus 13:17-17:16 - January 21st, 2018
- Parashat Bo (בוא): Exodus 10:1–13:16 - January 14th, 2018
- Parashat Va'era (וארא): Exodus 6:2-9:35 - January 7th, 2018
- Parashat Shemot (שמות): Exodus 1:1-6:1 - December 31st, 2017
- Parashat Vayechi (ויחי): Genesis 47:28–50:26 - December 24th, 2017
- Parashat Vayigash (ויגש): Genesis 44:18–47:27 - December 17th, 2017
- Chanukah: Dare to be a Daniel, Joseph, Judas Maccabeus - December 16th, 2017
- Parashat Miketz (מקץ): Genesis 41:1–44:17 - December 10th, 2017
- Genesis 37–40: Joseph and Judah's school of hard knocks - December 9th, 2017
- Parashat Vayeshev (וישב): Genesis 37:1–40:23 - December 3rd, 2017
- Genesis 32:3–36:43: Peace on Earth depends on a transformed you - December 2nd, 2017
- Parashat Vayishlach (וישלח): Genesis 32:3–36:43 - November 26th, 2017
- Genesis 28:10–32:2: Messiah seeks 'the lost sheep of Israel' - November 25th, 2017