“As God is my witness, I will do that.” Such words can roll off our tongues easily, but we can forget that One is witnessing such a vow and watching to see whether we respect the Creator enough to follow through. That’s why Moshe (Moses), Yeshua haMashiakh (Jesus the Christ) and His apostle Ya’akob (James) warned us against dragging the LORD in to co-sign on our promises.
Yisrael’s promise to remain faithful to the One Who delivered the people out of bondage in Mitsraim (Egypt) eroded under the temptation of a flesh-friendly religion. So a former ally of 40 years ago became an existential enemy and had to be defeated. The wisdom of being very careful in making promises and seeking the strength to keep them is the subtext of the Torah reading מטות Matot (“tribes”), covering Numbers 30–32.
When life or our trust in the LORD seems to get too tough for too long, it’s tempting to give up. Yet we should look back on how far we have come in our new life in the Kingdom of Heaven through the mercy given us on the name of Yeshua. Our journey from our old life is much like Israel’s journey from bondage in Mitsraim to freedom at Sinai and rest in the Promised Land, a trek recounted for the second generation in the Torah passage (parashah) מסעי Massei (or Mase’y, “journeys of”), covering Numbers 33–36.
Note: Because of special Bible readings during God’s appointed times, the readings Massei and Matot are combined into one week this year.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Devarim (דברים): Deuteronomy 1:1–3:22 - July 22nd, 2017
- Numbers 30-36: We want Messiah to give us rest from our dumb oaths and vows - July 22nd, 2017
- Parashat Pinchas (פינחס): Numbers 25:10-30:1 - July 9th, 2017
- Numbers 22:1-25:9: God sent emissaries to the Gentiles too - July 8th, 2017
- Parashat Balak (בלק): Numbers 22:2-25:9 - July 2nd, 2017
- Numbers 19–21: Life and salvation amid death and rebellion - July 1st, 2017
- Parashat Chukat (חקת): Numbers 19:1-22:1 - June 25th, 2017
- Numbers 16–18: Korah, an early anti-Messiah - June 24th, 2017
- Parashat Korach (קרח): Numbers 16–18 - June 18th, 2017
- Numbers 13–15: Overcoming fear in doing the right thing - June 17th, 2017
- Parashat Shelach (שלח): Numbers 13–15 - June 11th, 2017
- Numbers 8–12: Heaven wants you to be Spirit-filled - June 10th, 2017
- Parashat Beha'alotecha (בהעלתך): Numbers 8–12 - June 4th, 2017
- Numbers 4:21–7:89: Ambassadors for the gospel - June 3rd, 2017
- Parashat Nasso (נשא): Numbers 4:21–7:89 - May 28th, 2017
- Parashat Bamidbar (במדבר): Numbers 1:1–4:20 - May 21st, 2017
- Leviticus 25–27: The LORD wants to set you free - May 20th, 2017
- Parashat Behar (בהר) & Bechukotai (בחקותי): Leviticus 25–27 - May 14th, 2017
- Leviticus 21–24: How the High Priest deals with death - May 13th, 2017
- Parashat Emor (אמר): Leviticus 21–24 - May 7th, 2017