The roller-coaster ride of ancient Israel through trust in the LORD, apathy and rebellion mirrors our the turmoil that swirls around our daily lives. This week’s Torah reading, דברים Devarim (“words,” Deut. 1:1-3:22), starts a “second telling,” or deuteronomy, to the post-Exodus generation of why Israel exists and what its mission is.
The traditional complementary reading (haftarah) for Devarim is Isa. 1:1-27. It describes a time surround the great 70-year exile of Israel from the land by Babylon, for some of the same reasons behind the 40-year exile of Israel from the Promised Land.
The following are recorded discussions and notes from Hallel Fellowship teachers about passages from this week’s reading.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Vayetze (ויצא): Genesis 28:10–32:2 - November 19th, 2017
- Parashat Toldot (תולדת): Genesis 25:19–28:9 - November 12th, 2017
- Genesis 23:1–25:18: A time to rebel and a time to trust - November 11th, 2017
- Parashat Chayei Sarah (חיי שרה): Genesis 23:1-25:18 - November 5th, 2017
- Parashat Vayera (וירא): Genesis 18:1–22:24 - October 29th, 2017
- Genesis 12–17: Instant gratification is never instant or gratifying - October 28th, 2017
- Parashat Lech Lecha (לך לך): Genesis 12:1-17:27 - October 22nd, 2017
- Genesis 6:9–11:32: Our salvation floats on a real Flood - October 21st, 2017
- Parashat Noach (נח): Genesis 6:9–11:32 - October 15th, 2017
- Parashat Bereisheet (בראשית): Genesis 1:1-6:8 - October 8th, 2017
- Yom Kippur: Confidence before God under Messiah's covering - September 30th, 2017
- Judgment Day: Day of the LORD is a day of awakening - September 21st, 2017
- Parashat Ha'azinu (האזינו): Deuteronomy 32 - September 17th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 29:9–31:30: Hungry to get close to God? - September 16th, 2017
- Parashot Nitzavim (נצבים)/Vayelech (וילך): Deuteronomy 29:9–31:20 - September 10th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 26:1–29:8: Coveting thankfulness for the LORD's blessings - September 9th, 2017
- Parashat Ki Tavo (כי תבוא): Deuteronomy 26:1–29:8 - September 3rd, 2017
- Parashat Ki Tetze (כי תצא): Deuteronomy 21:10-25:19 - August 26th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 16:18–21:9: Learn to judge life & death righteously & mercifully - August 26th, 2017
- Parashat Shoftim (שפטים): Deuteronomy 16:18-21:9 - August 20th, 2017