Part of the Golden Rule (Lev. 19:18) is concern for other people. One way to view the somber warnings in the common Torah reading בְּחֻקֹּתַי Bechukotai (“in My statutes”) is God is concerned about the world so much that its lifeline — Israel — has to remain pure.
The usual complementary reading to Leviticus 26-27 from the Prophets is Jer. 16:19-17:14.
It is only God Who can restore life from death, not only the death of a person but the death of a nation. God warns Israel, and He will destroy their nation if they walk in idolatry. But He will also restore their nation if they will humble themselves and accept their guilt.
The topic of Leviticus 26-27 is God’s anger: the just anger that comes when His people do not follow the way He has laid out for them. God reveals the blessings He will give them if they obey Him and give their hearts to Him and the curses that will come upon them they disobey Him by running towards other gods.
The book of Leviticus is not written in chronological order but in thematic order. God may also repeat a point several times as an emphasis on that particular point.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Chukat (חקת): Numbers 19:1-22:1 - June 25th, 2017
- Parashat Korach (קרח): Numbers 16–18 - June 18th, 2017
- Numbers 13–15: Overcoming fear in doing the right thing - June 17th, 2017
- Parashat Shelach (שלח): Numbers 13–15 - June 11th, 2017
- Numbers 8–12: Heaven wants you to be Spirit-filled - June 10th, 2017
- Parashat Beha'alotecha (בהעלתך): Numbers 8–12 - June 4th, 2017
- Numbers 4:21–7:89: Ambassadors for the gospel - June 3rd, 2017
- Parashat Nasso (נשא): Numbers 4:21–7:89 - May 28th, 2017
- Parashat Bamidbar (במדבר): Numbers 1:1–4:20 - May 21st, 2017
- Leviticus 25–27: The LORD wants to set you free - May 20th, 2017
- Parashat Behar (בהר) & Bechukotai (בחקותי): Leviticus 25–27 - May 14th, 2017
- Leviticus 21–24: How the High Priest deals with death - May 13th, 2017
- Parashat Emor (אמר): Leviticus 21–24 - May 7th, 2017
- Leviticus 16; Hebrews 4–10: 'Because we have a great High Priest…' - May 6th, 2017
- Parashot Acharei Mot (אחרי מות) & Kedoshim (קדושים): Leviticus 16–20 - April 30th, 2017
- Leviticus 12–15: Dishing and spreading the dirt is easy; preventing its spread is hard - April 22nd, 2017
- Exodus 14:1–15:21: Seventh day of Unleavened Bread teaches repentance, salvation and righteousness - April 17th, 2017
- Parashat Metzora (מצורע): Leviticus 14–15 - April 16th, 2017
- Parashat Tazria (תזריע): Leviticus 12–13 - April 16th, 2017
- Leviticus 9-11; Mark 7; Acts 10: Become clean and holy from the inside out - April 15th, 2017