Part of the Golden Rule (Lev. 19:18) is concern for other people. One way to view the somber warnings in the common Torah reading בְּחֻקֹּתַי Bechukotai (“in My statutes”) is God is concerned about the world so much that its lifeline — Israel — has to remain pure.
The usual complementary reading to Leviticus 26-27 from the Prophets is Jer. 16:19-17:14.
It is only God Who can restore life from death, not only the death of a person but the death of a nation. God warns Israel, and He will destroy their nation if they walk in idolatry. But He will also restore their nation if they will humble themselves and accept their guilt.
The topic of Leviticus 26-27 is God’s anger: the just anger that comes when His people do not follow the way He has laid out for them. God reveals the blessings He will give them if they obey Him and give their hearts to Him and the curses that will come upon them they disobey Him by running towards other gods.
The book of Leviticus is not written in chronological order but in thematic order. God may also repeat a point several times as an emphasis on that particular point.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Bamidbar (במדבר): Numbers 1:1–4:20 - May 21st, 2017
- Parashat Behar (בהר) & Bechukotai (בחקותי): Leviticus 25–27 - May 14th, 2017
- Parashat Emor (אמר): Leviticus 21–24 - May 7th, 2017
- Leviticus 16; Hebrews 4–10: 'Because we have a great High Priest…' - May 6th, 2017
- Parashot Acharei Mot (אחרי מות) & Kedoshim (קדושים): Leviticus 16–20 - April 30th, 2017
- Leviticus 12–15: Dishing and spreading the dirt is easy; preventing its spread is hard - April 22nd, 2017
- Exodus 14:1–15:21: Seventh day of Unleavened Bread teaches repentance, salvation and righteousness - April 17th, 2017
- Parashat Metzora (מצורע): Leviticus 14–15 - April 16th, 2017
- Parashat Tazria (תזריע): Leviticus 12–13 - April 16th, 2017
- Leviticus 9-11; Mark 7; Acts 10: Become clean and holy from the inside out - April 15th, 2017
- Parashat Shemini (שמיני): Leviticus 9–11 - April 9th, 2017
- Leviticus 6:8–8:36: God wants a relationship with you that responds and grows - April 8th, 2017
- Parashat Tzav (צו): Leviticus 6:8–8:36 - April 2nd, 2017
- Leviticus 1:1-6:7: Entering God's Presence via the sacrifice of a contrite heart - April 1st, 2017
- Parashat Vayikra (ויקרא): Leviticus 1:1-6:7 - March 26th, 2017
- Exodus 35–40: Enter God's rest before building His home - March 25th, 2017
- Exodus 30:11–34:35: You are not 'just a number' to God - March 18th, 2017
- Parashat Ki Tisa (כי תשא): Exodus 30:11-34:35 - March 12th, 2017
- Exodus 27:20–30:10: High priest foreshadows Messiah Yeshua's redeeming humanity - March 11th, 2017
- Parashat Tetzaveh (תצוה): Exodus 27:20-30:10 - March 5th, 2017