As the Torah reading בְּהַעֲלֹתְךָ Beha’alotcha (“when you raise up” [the lamps]) begins, the menorah and the Levites are dedicated to God’s service, and the Tabernacle is ready for business.
However, this reading is permeated with all sorts of ingratitude and complaining, from the people complaining about the manna to Miriam and Aaron complaining about Moses. God doesn’t put up with any of it. Whether it’s sending down a consuming fire or a plague, God doesn’t put up with people grumbling about His provision.
The traditional parallel reading (haftarah) for Beha’alotecha is Zech. 2:14-4:7.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Re'eh (ראה): Deuteronomy 11:26-16:17 - August 13th, 2017
- Parashat Eikev/Ekev (עקב): Deuteronomy 7:12–11:25 - August 6th, 2017
- Parashat Va'etchanan (ואתחנן): Deuteronomy 3:23-7:11 - July 29th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 1:1–3:22: Growing in grace by every word from God - July 29th, 2017
- Parashat Devarim (דברים): Deuteronomy 1:1–3:22 - July 22nd, 2017
- Numbers 30-36: We want Messiah to give us rest from our dumb oaths and vows - July 22nd, 2017
- Parashot Matot/Massei (מטות/מסעי): Numbers 30–36 - July 17th, 2017
- Numbers 25:10-29:40: A 'snake' again becomes an icon of salvation - July 15th, 2017
- Parashat Pinchas (פינחס): Numbers 25:10-30:1 - July 9th, 2017
- Numbers 22:1-25:9: God sent emissaries to the Gentiles too - July 8th, 2017
- Parashat Balak (בלק): Numbers 22:2-25:9 - July 2nd, 2017
- Numbers 19–21: Life and salvation amid death and rebellion - July 1st, 2017
- Parashat Chukat (חקת): Numbers 19:1-22:1 - June 25th, 2017
- Numbers 16–18: Korah, an early anti-Messiah - June 24th, 2017
- Parashat Korach (קרח): Numbers 16–18 - June 18th, 2017
- Numbers 13–15: Overcoming fear in doing the right thing - June 17th, 2017
- Parashat Shelach (שלח): Numbers 13–15 - June 11th, 2017
- Numbers 8–12: Heaven wants you to be Spirit-filled - June 10th, 2017
- Numbers 4:21–7:89: Ambassadors for the gospel - June 3rd, 2017
- Parashat Nasso (נשא): Numbers 4:21–7:89 - May 28th, 2017