As the Torah reading בְּהַעֲלֹתְךָ Beha’alotcha (“when you raise up” [the lamps]) begins, the menorah and the Levites are dedicated to God’s service, and the Tabernacle is ready for business.
However, this reading is permeated with all sorts of ingratitude and complaining, from the people complaining about the manna to Miriam and Aaron complaining about Moses. God doesn’t put up with any of it. Whether it’s sending down a consuming fire or a plague, God doesn’t put up with people grumbling about His provision.
The traditional parallel reading (haftarah) for Beha’alotecha is Zech. 2:14-4:7.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Korach (קרח): Numbers 16–18 - June 18th, 2017
- Numbers 13–15: Overcoming fear in doing the right thing - June 17th, 2017
- Parashat Shelach (שלח): Numbers 13–15 - June 11th, 2017
- Numbers 8–12: Heaven wants you to be Spirit-filled - June 10th, 2017
- Numbers 4:21–7:89: Ambassadors for the gospel - June 3rd, 2017
- Parashat Nasso (נשא): Numbers 4:21–7:89 - May 28th, 2017
- Parashat Bamidbar (במדבר): Numbers 1:1–4:20 - May 21st, 2017
- Leviticus 25–27: The LORD wants to set you free - May 20th, 2017
- Parashat Behar (בהר) & Bechukotai (בחקותי): Leviticus 25–27 - May 14th, 2017
- Leviticus 21–24: How the High Priest deals with death - May 13th, 2017
- Parashat Emor (אמר): Leviticus 21–24 - May 7th, 2017
- Leviticus 16; Hebrews 4–10: 'Because we have a great High Priest…' - May 6th, 2017
- Parashot Acharei Mot (אחרי מות) & Kedoshim (קדושים): Leviticus 16–20 - April 30th, 2017
- Leviticus 12–15: Dishing and spreading the dirt is easy; preventing its spread is hard - April 22nd, 2017
- Exodus 14:1–15:21: Seventh day of Unleavened Bread teaches repentance, salvation and righteousness - April 17th, 2017
- Parashat Metzora (מצורע): Leviticus 14–15 - April 16th, 2017
- Parashat Tazria (תזריע): Leviticus 12–13 - April 16th, 2017
- Leviticus 9-11; Mark 7; Acts 10: Become clean and holy from the inside out - April 15th, 2017
- Parashat Shemini (שמיני): Leviticus 9–11 - April 9th, 2017
- Leviticus 6:8–8:36: God wants a relationship with you that responds and grows - April 8th, 2017