As the Torah reading בְּהַעֲלֹתְךָ Beha’alotcha (“when you raise up” [the lamps]) begins, the menorah and the Levites are dedicated to God’s service, and the Tabernacle is ready for business.
However, this reading is permeated with all sorts of ingratitude and complaining, from the people complaining about the manna to Miriam and Aaron complaining about Moses. God doesn’t put up with any of it. Whether it’s sending down a consuming fire or a plague, God doesn’t put up with people grumbling about His provision.
The traditional parallel reading (haftarah) for Beha’alotecha is Zech. 2:14-4:7.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Miketz (מקץ): Genesis 41:1–44:17 - December 10th, 2017
- Parashat Vayeshev (וישב): Genesis 37:1–40:23 - December 3rd, 2017
- Genesis 32:3–36:43: Peace on Earth depends on a transformed you - December 2nd, 2017
- Parashat Vayishlach (וישלח): Genesis 32:3–36:43 - November 26th, 2017
- Genesis 28:10–32:2: Messiah seeks 'the lost sheep of Israel' - November 25th, 2017
- Parashat Vayetze (ויצא): Genesis 28:10–32:2 - November 19th, 2017
- Genesis 25:19–28:9: 'Be perfect, as your Father in Heaven is perfect' - November 18th, 2017
- Parashat Toldot (תולדת): Genesis 25:19–28:9 - November 12th, 2017
- Genesis 23:1–25:18: A time to rebel and a time to trust - November 11th, 2017
- Parashat Chayei Sarah (חיי שרה): Genesis 23:1-25:18 - November 5th, 2017
- Genesis 18–22: Open your eyes when God 'shows up' - November 4th, 2017
- Parashat Vayera (וירא): Genesis 18:1–22:24 - October 29th, 2017
- Genesis 12–17: Instant gratification is never instant or gratifying - October 28th, 2017
- Parashat Lech Lecha (לך לך): Genesis 12:1-17:27 - October 22nd, 2017
- Genesis 6:9–11:32: Our salvation floats on a real Flood - October 21st, 2017
- Parashat Noach (נח): Genesis 6:9–11:32 - October 15th, 2017
- Parashat Bereisheet (בראשית): Genesis 1:1-6:8 - October 8th, 2017
- Yom Kippur: Confidence before God under Messiah's covering - September 30th, 2017
- Judgment Day: Day of the LORD is a day of awakening - September 21st, 2017
- Parashat Ha'azinu (האזינו): Deuteronomy 32 - September 17th, 2017