Should we feel shame for going against the Creator’s instructions? What do we do about that guilt?
Discussed at length in the New Testament letter to the Hebrews, Yom haKippurim (Day of Atonement) is one of the most important lessons in the parables connected to the Moedim (appointed times) of the LORD and the Tabernacle. It teaches the grace and mercy the Creator offers by covering all offenses, pointing to the work of the Mashiakh (Christ).
Also part of the dual readings of אחרי מות Acharei Mot (“after the deaths,” Leviticus 16–18) and קדושים Kedoshim (“holies/holy,” Leviticus 19–20) are instructions on eating blood, nakedness and sexual perversion, discernment of things that shouldn’t go together, the “golden rule” and banishment from the people of Israel.
Yom haKippurim is about freedom from the old life and getting closer to the Giver of Life.
The traditional parallel reading (haftarah) for Acharei Mot/Kedoshim is Ezekiel 22:1–19.
The following are studies from Hallel Fellowship teachers on passages in Acharei Mot/Kedoshim.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Ha'azinu (האזינו): Deuteronomy 32 - September 17th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 29:9–31:30: Hungry to get close to God? - September 16th, 2017
- Parashot Nitzavim (נצבים)/Vayelech (וילך): Deuteronomy 29:9–31:20 - September 10th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 26:1–29:8: Coveting thankfulness for the LORD's blessings - September 9th, 2017
- Parashat Ki Tavo (כי תבוא): Deuteronomy 26:1–29:8 - September 3rd, 2017
- Parashat Ki Tetze (כי תצא): Deuteronomy 21:10-25:19 - August 26th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 16:18–21:9: Learn to judge life & death righteously & mercifully - August 26th, 2017
- Parashat Shoftim (שפטים): Deuteronomy 16:18-21:9 - August 20th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 11:26–16:17: Learning to live a blessed life - August 19th, 2017
- Parashat Re'eh (ראה): Deuteronomy 11:26-16:17 - August 13th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 7:12-11:25: Stay with the One Who brought you this far - August 12th, 2017
- Parashat Eikev/Ekev (עקב): Deuteronomy 7:12–11:25 - August 6th, 2017
- Parashat Va'etchanan (ואתחנן): Deuteronomy 3:23-7:11 - July 29th, 2017
- Deuteronomy 1:1–3:22: Growing in grace by every word from God - July 29th, 2017
- Parashat Devarim (דברים): Deuteronomy 1:1–3:22 - July 22nd, 2017
- Numbers 30-36: We want Messiah to give us rest from our dumb oaths and vows - July 22nd, 2017
- Parashot Matot/Massei (מטות/מסעי): Numbers 30–36 - July 17th, 2017
- Numbers 25:10-29:40: A 'snake' again becomes an icon of salvation - July 15th, 2017
- Parashat Pinchas (פינחס): Numbers 25:10-30:1 - July 9th, 2017
- Numbers 22:1-25:9: God sent emissaries to the Gentiles too - July 8th, 2017