Should we feel shame for going against the Creator’s instructions? What do we do about that guilt?
Discussed at length in the New Testament letter to the Hebrews, Yom haKippurim (Day of Atonement) is one of the most important lessons in the parables connected to the Moedim (appointed times) of the LORD and the Tabernacle. It teaches the grace and mercy the Creator offers by covering all offenses, pointing to the work of the Mashiakh (Christ).
Also part of the dual readings of אחרי מות Acharei Mot (“after the deaths,” Leviticus 16–18) and קדושים Kedoshim (“holies/holy,” Leviticus 19–20) are instructions on eating blood, nakedness and sexual perversion, discernment of things that shouldn’t go together, the “golden rule” and banishment from the people of Israel.
Yom haKippurim is about freedom from the old life and getting closer to the Giver of Life.
The traditional parallel reading (haftarah) for Acharei Mot/Kedoshim is Ezekiel 22:1–19.
The following are studies from Hallel Fellowship teachers on passages in Acharei Mot/Kedoshim.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Bamidbar (במדבר): Numbers 1:1–4:20 - May 21st, 2017
- Parashat Behar (בהר) & Bechukotai (בחקותי): Leviticus 25–27 - May 14th, 2017
- Parashat Emor (אמר): Leviticus 21–24 - May 7th, 2017
- Leviticus 16; Hebrews 4–10: 'Because we have a great High Priest…' - May 6th, 2017
- Leviticus 12–15: Dishing and spreading the dirt is easy; preventing its spread is hard - April 22nd, 2017
- Exodus 14:1–15:21: Seventh day of Unleavened Bread teaches repentance, salvation and righteousness - April 17th, 2017
- Parashat Metzora (מצורע): Leviticus 14–15 - April 16th, 2017
- Parashat Tazria (תזריע): Leviticus 12–13 - April 16th, 2017
- Leviticus 9-11; Mark 7; Acts 10: Become clean and holy from the inside out - April 15th, 2017
- Parashat Shemini (שמיני): Leviticus 9–11 - April 9th, 2017
- Leviticus 6:8–8:36: God wants a relationship with you that responds and grows - April 8th, 2017
- Parashat Tzav (צו): Leviticus 6:8–8:36 - April 2nd, 2017
- Leviticus 1:1-6:7: Entering God's Presence via the sacrifice of a contrite heart - April 1st, 2017
- Parashat Vayikra (ויקרא): Leviticus 1:1-6:7 - March 26th, 2017
- Exodus 35–40: Enter God's rest before building His home - March 25th, 2017
- Exodus 30:11–34:35: You are not 'just a number' to God - March 18th, 2017
- Parashat Ki Tisa (כי תשא): Exodus 30:11-34:35 - March 12th, 2017
- Exodus 27:20–30:10: High priest foreshadows Messiah Yeshua's redeeming humanity - March 11th, 2017
- Parashat Tetzaveh (תצוה): Exodus 27:20-30:10 - March 5th, 2017
- Parashat Terumah (תרומה): Exodus 25:1–27:19 - February 26th, 2017