Should we feel shame for going against the Creator’s instructions? What do we do about that guilt?
Discussed at length in the New Testament letter to the Hebrews, Yom haKippurim (Day of Atonement) is one of the most important lessons in the parables connected to the Moedim (appointed times) of the LORD and the Tabernacle. It teaches the grace and mercy the Creator offers by covering all offenses, pointing to the work of the Mashiakh (Christ).
Also part of the dual readings of אחרי מות Acharei Mot (“after the deaths,” Leviticus 16–18) and קדושים Kedoshim (“holies/holy,” Leviticus 19–20) are instructions on eating blood, nakedness and sexual perversion, discernment of things that shouldn’t go together, the “golden rule” and banishment from the people of Israel.
Yom haKippurim is about freedom from the old life and getting closer to the Giver of Life.
The traditional parallel reading (haftarah) for Acharei Mot/Kedoshim is Ezekiel 22:1–19.
The following are studies from Hallel Fellowship teachers on passages in Acharei Mot/Kedoshim.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Bo (בוא): Exodus 10:1–13:16 - January 14th, 2018
- Parashat Va'era (וארא): Exodus 6:2-9:35 - January 7th, 2018
- Parashat Shemot (שמות): Exodus 1:1-6:1 - December 31st, 2017
- Parashat Vayechi (ויחי): Genesis 47:28–50:26 - December 24th, 2017
- Parashat Vayigash (ויגש): Genesis 44:18–47:27 - December 17th, 2017
- Chanukah: Dare to be a Daniel, Joseph, Judas Maccabeus - December 16th, 2017
- Parashat Miketz (מקץ): Genesis 41:1–44:17 - December 10th, 2017
- Genesis 37–40: Joseph and Judah's school of hard knocks - December 9th, 2017
- Parashat Vayeshev (וישב): Genesis 37:1–40:23 - December 3rd, 2017
- Genesis 32:3–36:43: Peace on Earth depends on a transformed you - December 2nd, 2017
- Parashat Vayishlach (וישלח): Genesis 32:3–36:43 - November 26th, 2017
- Genesis 28:10–32:2: Messiah seeks 'the lost sheep of Israel' - November 25th, 2017
- Parashat Vayetze (ויצא): Genesis 28:10–32:2 - November 19th, 2017
- Genesis 25:19–28:9: 'Be perfect, as your Father in Heaven is perfect' - November 18th, 2017
- Parashat Toldot (תולדת): Genesis 25:19–28:9 - November 12th, 2017
- Genesis 23:1–25:18: A time to rebel and a time to trust - November 11th, 2017
- Parashat Chayei Sarah (חיי שרה): Genesis 23:1-25:18 - November 5th, 2017
- Genesis 18–22: Open your eyes when God 'shows up' - November 4th, 2017
- Parashat Vayera (וירא): Genesis 18:1–22:24 - October 29th, 2017
- Genesis 12–17: Instant gratification is never instant or gratifying - October 28th, 2017