Should we feel shame for going against the Creator’s instructions? What do we do about that guilt?
Discussed at length in the New Testament letter to the Hebrews, Yom haKippurim (Day of Atonement) is one of the most important lessons in the parables connected to the Moedim (appointed times) of the LORD and the Tabernacle. It teaches the grace and mercy the Creator offers by covering all offenses, pointing to the work of the Mashiakh (Christ).
Also part of the dual readings of אחרי מות Acharei Mot (“after the deaths,” Leviticus 16–18) and קדושים Kedoshim (“holies/holy,” Leviticus 19–20) are instructions on eating blood, nakedness and sexual perversion, discernment of things that shouldn’t go together, the “golden rule” and banishment from the people of Israel.
Yom haKippurim is about freedom from the old life and getting closer to the Giver of Life.
The traditional parallel reading (haftarah) for Acharei Mot/Kedoshim is Ezekiel 22:1–19.
The following are studies from Hallel Fellowship teachers on passages in Acharei Mot/Kedoshim.
Recent posts in Torah
- Parashat Korach (קרח): Numbers 16–18 - June 18th, 2017
- Numbers 13–15: Overcoming fear in doing the right thing - June 17th, 2017
- Parashat Shelach (שלח): Numbers 13–15 - June 11th, 2017
- Numbers 8–12: Heaven wants you to be Spirit-filled - June 10th, 2017
- Parashat Beha'alotecha (בהעלתך): Numbers 8–12 - June 4th, 2017
- Numbers 4:21–7:89: Ambassadors for the gospel - June 3rd, 2017
- Parashat Nasso (נשא): Numbers 4:21–7:89 - May 28th, 2017
- Parashat Bamidbar (במדבר): Numbers 1:1–4:20 - May 21st, 2017
- Leviticus 25–27: The LORD wants to set you free - May 20th, 2017
- Parashat Behar (בהר) & Bechukotai (בחקותי): Leviticus 25–27 - May 14th, 2017
- Leviticus 21–24: How the High Priest deals with death - May 13th, 2017
- Parashat Emor (אמר): Leviticus 21–24 - May 7th, 2017
- Leviticus 16; Hebrews 4–10: 'Because we have a great High Priest…' - May 6th, 2017
- Leviticus 12–15: Dishing and spreading the dirt is easy; preventing its spread is hard - April 22nd, 2017
- Exodus 14:1–15:21: Seventh day of Unleavened Bread teaches repentance, salvation and righteousness - April 17th, 2017
- Parashat Metzora (מצורע): Leviticus 14–15 - April 16th, 2017
- Parashat Tazria (תזריע): Leviticus 12–13 - April 16th, 2017
- Leviticus 9-11; Mark 7; Acts 10: Become clean and holy from the inside out - April 15th, 2017
- Parashat Shemini (שמיני): Leviticus 9–11 - April 9th, 2017
- Leviticus 6:8–8:36: God wants a relationship with you that responds and grows - April 8th, 2017