Many who read this text think that God is somehow rejecting David or turning away from him, but this is not the case at all. God is not rejecting David but He is giving David a great insight into God’s purpose for him. David finds out what God really thinks of him. How many of us hear straight from God what He thinks of what we are doing for ourselves and our future generations? So, rather than thinking of this story as a type of rebuke to David, consider it God’s gift to David.
How does God chastise or punish an errant king?
Where did David go to pray to God after Nathan told him God didn’t want him to build the Temple?
Why did David want to build a Temple for God?
Was David wrong to want to build God’s house?
What were the two conditions for the building of a permanent dwelling place for God? (Deut. 12:10-11)
Why did God disagree with David’s timing (1 Chron. 22:6-11)?
How do David and Solomon represent two extremes?
How does the story of David and Solomon match the future of the Messiah as recorded in Revelation?
How did David react to God’s decision not to allow him to build the Temple?
How did David pray to God?
What information did God give to David?
Where did David go to talk to God?
How did David compare his story to the story of the people of Israel as a whole?
What did David learn from this experience?
Reader: Bill K. Speaker: Daniel Agee.
Recent posts in Discussions
- Exodus 14:1–15:21: Seventh day of Unleavened Bread teaches repentance, salvation and righteousness - April 17th, 2017
- Leviticus 9-11; Mark 7; Acts 10: Become clean and holy from the inside out - April 15th, 2017
- Leviticus 6:8–8:36: God wants a relationship with you that responds and grows - April 8th, 2017
- Leviticus 1:1-6:7: Entering God's Presence via the sacrifice of a contrite heart - April 1st, 2017
- Exodus 35–40: Enter God's rest before building His home - March 25th, 2017
- Parashat Vayakhel/Pekudei (ויקהל/פקודי): Exodus 35:1–40:38 - March 19th, 2017
- Exodus 30:11–34:35: You are not 'just a number' to God - March 18th, 2017
- Exodus 27:20–30:10: High priest foreshadows Messiah Yeshua's redeeming humanity - March 11th, 2017
- Genesis 44:18–47:27: Yosef foreshadows Yeshua's grace - January 7th, 2017
- Genesis 41:1-44:17: Yitzkhak's and Yosef's extended passion play - December 31st, 2016
- Genesis 37–40: What's your legacy in the Kingdom of God? - December 24th, 2016
- Genesis 32:4–36:43: Face up to your past, so Mashiakh can purge it - December 17th, 2016
- Genesis 28:10–32:2: Underestimating the strength of the 'weak' - December 10th, 2016
- Genesis 25:19–28:9: What does Heaven really want from me? - December 3rd, 2016
- Genesis 23:1–25:18: Sarah's 'lives' and our 'new creation' - November 26th, 2016
- Genesis 18:1–22:24: Abraham's teachable moments on faith - November 19th, 2016
- Genesis 12–17: From old self to 'new creation' in Abraham's footsteps - November 12th, 2016
- Genesis 6:9-11:32: Remembering God’s judgment and mercy in the Flood - November 5th, 2016
- Genesis 1:1–6:8: God commanded, but why should I listen? - October 29th, 2016
- Leviticus 12-13: Profanity makes one a leper - April 9th, 2016
Recent posts in Prophets and Writings
- Genesis 28:10-32:3: Is it better to learn through mistakes? - November 21st, 2015
- Genesis 25:19–28:9: Esau lives out why 'following your heart' can be folly - November 14th, 2015
- Genesis 23:1-25:18: Believers' bargain bonanza from Sarah and Rivkah - November 7th, 2015
- Amos 3: To whom much is given, much is required - May 23rd, 2015
- Amos 2: Amos starts calling out Israel's social injustice - May 9th, 2015
- Amos 1: Calling Israel to repent from social injustice - April 25th, 2015
- Jonah 4: God does not desire the death of the wicked - March 28th, 2015
- Jonah 3: Contrasting contriteness of Nineveh and Israel - March 14th, 2015
- Jonah 2: Yonah's messianic psalm on salvation for a righteous man - February 28th, 2015
- Jonah 1: Beginning look at the 'sign of Yonah' - February 14th, 2015
- Book of Jonah drama - January 31st, 2015
- 2nd Kings 14: Amaziah allows Yehudah to slide back into idolatry; enter Yonah - January 17th, 2015
- 2nd Kings 13: Messianic prophesy of death, resurrection of Israel - January 3rd, 2015
- John 13:36-38: Shepherd Friend of God - December 28th, 2014
- Chanukah: Prophecy and memorial for conception of Messiah and declaration of His mission - November 29th, 2014
- 2nd Kings 11: Fall of the House of Ahab - November 15th, 2014
- 2nd Kings 10: Yehu and Yehonadab: What God respects in a person - November 1st, 2014
- 2nd Kings 9: Meaning of 'peace' shown in death of King Ahab's line - October 18th, 2014
- Sukkot and the Millennium ingathering - October 14th, 2014
- 2nd Kings 7: Messianic prophecy in Elisha and four leper 'saviors' - September 6th, 2014