Much of 1st Samuel 2 contains Hannah’s prayer of praise to God. Then we hear about high priest Eli’s wicked sons and how their actions made people despise following God’s instructions. A prophet comes to Eli and gives God’s message that his priestly line would end because he didn’t stop the behavior.
Food for thought from the recorded discussion
What did we learn about Hannah in 1st Samuel 1? Who were Hannah’s antagonists?
Why does Hannah’s prayer start this chapter? What does Hannah say?
Why is Hannah considered a prophet? How does the tone of the chapter change from 1st Sam. 2:2 to 1st Sam. 2:3? Who are the topics of her prophecy?
What were Samuel’s qualifications to be an assistant to the High Priest?
Why is 1st Sam 2:6 so important for understanding God’s commands to kill all the people — sometimes women, children, and animals — in certain cities of Canaan during Israel’s entry into the land?
Who is Hannah speaking about in 1st Sam. 2:11? Who is the second prophet to confirm Hannah’s witness?
What kind of sins did Eli’s sons commit against the Tabernacle and the people of Israel? Which offerings were Eli’s sons stealing? Which types of sins were worse in the prophet’s eyes?
How did Eli rebuke his sons? How should Eli have rebuked his sons? What punishment did God inflict upon the sons of Aaron who performed their priestly duties out of order? What is the curse the prophet gives for the demise of Eli’s family? Does God care about our deeds or does He only care about our beliefs and words?
Why are we studying this? Why did Samuel record this? How is this relevant to our life?
What is the purpose of a prophet?
Reader: Ellie Agee. Speaker: Daniel Agee.
Recent posts in Discussions
- Exodus 14:1–15:21: Seventh day of Unleavened Bread teaches repentance, salvation and righteousness - April 17th, 2017
- Leviticus 9-11; Mark 7; Acts 10: Become clean and holy from the inside out - April 15th, 2017
- Leviticus 6:8–8:36: God wants a relationship with you that responds and grows - April 8th, 2017
- Leviticus 1:1-6:7: Entering God's Presence via the sacrifice of a contrite heart - April 1st, 2017
- Exodus 35–40: Enter God's rest before building His home - March 25th, 2017
- Parashat Vayakhel/Pekudei (ויקהל/פקודי): Exodus 35:1–40:38 - March 19th, 2017
- Exodus 30:11–34:35: You are not 'just a number' to God - March 18th, 2017
- Exodus 27:20–30:10: High priest foreshadows Messiah Yeshua's redeeming humanity - March 11th, 2017
- Genesis 44:18–47:27: Yosef foreshadows Yeshua's grace - January 7th, 2017
- Genesis 41:1-44:17: Yitzkhak's and Yosef's extended passion play - December 31st, 2016
- Genesis 37–40: What's your legacy in the Kingdom of God? - December 24th, 2016
- Genesis 32:4–36:43: Face up to your past, so Mashiakh can purge it - December 17th, 2016
- Genesis 28:10–32:2: Underestimating the strength of the 'weak' - December 10th, 2016
- Genesis 25:19–28:9: What does Heaven really want from me? - December 3rd, 2016
- Genesis 23:1–25:18: Sarah's 'lives' and our 'new creation' - November 26th, 2016
- Genesis 18:1–22:24: Abraham's teachable moments on faith - November 19th, 2016
- Genesis 12–17: From old self to 'new creation' in Abraham's footsteps - November 12th, 2016
- Genesis 6:9-11:32: Remembering God’s judgment and mercy in the Flood - November 5th, 2016
- Genesis 1:1–6:8: God commanded, but why should I listen? - October 29th, 2016
- Leviticus 12-13: Profanity makes one a leper - April 9th, 2016
Recent posts in Prophets and Writings
- Genesis 28:10-32:3: Is it better to learn through mistakes? - November 21st, 2015
- Genesis 25:19–28:9: Esau lives out why 'following your heart' can be folly - November 14th, 2015
- Genesis 23:1-25:18: Believers' bargain bonanza from Sarah and Rivkah - November 7th, 2015
- Amos 3: To whom much is given, much is required - May 23rd, 2015
- Amos 2: Amos starts calling out Israel's social injustice - May 9th, 2015
- Amos 1: Calling Israel to repent from social injustice - April 25th, 2015
- Jonah 4: God does not desire the death of the wicked - March 28th, 2015
- Jonah 3: Contrasting contriteness of Nineveh and Israel - March 14th, 2015
- Jonah 2: Yonah's messianic psalm on salvation for a righteous man - February 28th, 2015
- Jonah 1: Beginning look at the 'sign of Yonah' - February 14th, 2015
- Book of Jonah drama - January 31st, 2015
- 2nd Kings 14: Amaziah allows Yehudah to slide back into idolatry; enter Yonah - January 17th, 2015
- 2nd Kings 13: Messianic prophesy of death, resurrection of Israel - January 3rd, 2015
- John 13:36-38: Shepherd Friend of God - December 28th, 2014
- Chanukah: Prophecy and memorial for conception of Messiah and declaration of His mission - November 29th, 2014
- 2nd Kings 11: Fall of the House of Ahab - November 15th, 2014
- 2nd Kings 10: Yehu and Yehonadab: What God respects in a person - November 1st, 2014
- 2nd Kings 9: Meaning of 'peace' shown in death of King Ahab's line - October 18th, 2014
- Sukkot and the Millennium ingathering - October 14th, 2014
- 2nd Kings 7: Messianic prophecy in Elisha and four leper 'saviors' - September 6th, 2014